Savannah, TN - Each year in this country, 8 to 10 million lost & unwanted dogs & cats enter animal shelters.
They have about a 50% chance of getting out alive: 4 to 6 million of them will be euthanized - around a half million a month nationwide, 575 each hour, one every six & a half seconds.
25% of dogs that enter local shelters are purebred.
Make sure your pet has a secure collar with an Identification tag and Micro-chip Your Pets:
• Tragically over 2,500 dogs go missing every week and over 3,200 cats!
• Less than 2% of cats and only 16% of dogs are returned to their owners. Most of these were identified with tags, tattoos or microchips.
• Out of every 100 dogs in shelters only 17 are ever reunited with their owners.
• 1 out of 3 pets will get lost in their lifetime.
• 95% of lost pets that don’t have PET I.D. never get home again.
• 95% of lost pets that do have Pet I.D. are rescued and returned to their homes.
Have your pet Spayed/Neutered:
• Average # of litters a fertile cat can produce in one year: 3
• Average # of kittens in a feline litter: 4-6
• 2 cats can create up to 11,801 family members in only 5 years.
• Average # of litters a fertile dog can produce in one year: 2
• Average # of puppies in a canine litter: 6-10
• 2 dogs can create up to 12,288 family members in only 5 years.
• Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. Each day 70,000 puppies & kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals.